Love & Unison Cowl

PatternLove & Unison by Mina Philipp
Dates2nd – 29th January 2021
MaterialsMC (grey):
Easyknitter Deeply Wicked 4ply – Mechanoid – 65g
Truly Hooked Standard Socks – Dark Grey – 60g

CCs (approx. 18g each):
Black Elephant Merino Singles
Mystique (purple)
Golden Coast (yellow)
Arlandria (yellow/purple)
Thunderstorm (purple/teal)
Pebbles (yellow/teal)

La Bien Aimée Merino Singles
Emeline (teal)

3.50mm needles
SizeOne size
RatingPattern: 5/5
Finished item: 5/5

This was definitely a queue-jumping project. I bought Mina Philipp’s Cowls inspired by Persia ebook when it was released but didn’t immediately have any plans to cast one on. Come January though, I was looking for a new project and decided it was time to do some mini-skein stashbusting.

All of the cowl designs are quite graphical in nature and very flexible to play with colours as you like, but I was most drawn to this one. I had five minis from Black Elephant which were all complementary – two semi-solids and three more variegated/speckled, which had elements of the semi-solid colours in them. I added in a sixth merino singles mini from La Bien Aimée which filled the gap. By alternating the semi-solid and variegated, with the variegated having elements of the two adjacent semi-solids, it has quite a nice colour progression around the cowl.

I knit this as suggested in the pattern book – provisional cast on, knit in the round, then grafted together to make a double-faced tubular cowl. I wasn’t sure when I started if I would do single or double loop, but I definitely wanted to use all the minis and have the alternating colour pattern, so that made it long enough for double loop.

For the grey main colour, I started out by using up 65g of Easyknitter merino 4ply leftover from my Delkash dress. Based on the yardage estimates given in the pattern book, I was almost certain this wouldn’t be enough, and it proved the case – not even for a single loop. So, I broke into a skein of dark grey from Truly Hooked that came as a kit for the Sagrada Socks from Board Game Knits vol. 2. The match was excellent, both in the skein and when knit up. Even I struggle to find the join and I know where it is! However, I did end up using a full 60g of the Truly Hooked, leaving me with only 40g for my socks… so I’ll be rolling over the yarn chicken there too or will have to come up with another creative solution from my stash.

I really want to avoid buying new yarn for the foreseeable and just make things work with what I already have!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.