So month 1 of my wardrobe challenge is in motion, I’ve made April’s garment (and it’s only halfway through the month!)
The Pattern: Simple Sew Lottie Blouse, freebie with an issue of LoveSewing magazine
Fortunately I had to make minimal pattern alterations on this one, I pretty much followed the size 14 pattern with the size 16 bust. The fabric was very forgiving to sew, the most annoying thing being its slipperiness both in piecing out and on the machine.
Construction was fairly straightforward. Essentially 1) darts 2) shoulders 3) neck binding 4) sleeves 5) close up sleeve and side seams 6) collar/necktie
I am not convinced I understood the neck binding and collar parts properly. I seem to have a spare bit of binding fabric – the pattern says cut 2 but only has instructions for sewing in one – and the second piece on its own wouldn’t be enough for binding the armholes on the sleeveless version. The pattern shows the binding only applied around the ‘keyhole’ of the blouse neckline, whereas I found it actually went up nearly as far as the collar itself. Then later when you apply the necktie, it appears that this forms the back collar and I stitched it to overlap and cover the ends of the binding. This seemed to be the only logical thing to do but I’m not sure it’s the neatest finish, as I have a raw edge on the inside of the collar at the back rather than it being properly bound in.
If I made this again I think I would also close up the keyhole a bit, as it’s a bit deep for my tastes although the pussybow does a lot to help conceal that.
I believe this is meant to be quite loose fitting and that suits me for summer but again in a future incarnation I might bring in the sides and make it a tad more fitted.
I am quite please with the sleeves, this isn’t really something I have got to grips with much yet. I used a gathering technique learnt at Celia Banks’ workshop to help ease the tops into the armholes. The sew wasn’t perfect but it looks better from the outside than it does from the inside!!
I meant to post a video of some of the sewing here but I forgot the camera was on so there’s a lot of nothing…and at some point the battery died. I’ll have to do some editing to see what I can actually salvage!